The Millette Method™ Pediatric Sleep Consultant Program is the most comprehensive program for pediatric sleep consultants in the US. All of the practitioners have a background in Child Development, Family Systems Approach, Infant Mental Health, Perinatal Mental Health including Postpartum Depression, Anxiety, and Insomnia, Lactation Education and/or Consulting, and Counseling.
Developed over 20 years by sleep researcher and child therapist Dr. Angelique Millette, The Millette Method™ is an evidence-based family sleep approach informed by scientific research in child development, resiliency, sleep science, lactation, perinatal mental health, attachment, culture, neuropsychology, and family systems. The Millette Method™ practitioners believe that families do best if sleep methods are in line with their parenting philosophy. Millette Method™ practitioners also take into account developmental windows, regressions, child temperament, feeding method, attachment, history, degree of sleep deprivation, and sleeping arrangement. The Millette Method™ practitioners are selected by Dr. Millette to be a part of the team because of their specific contributions to the fields of family systems, child development, counseling, psychology, education, lactation, attachment, health/wellness, and sleep.
The Millette Method™ Sleep Consultants:
- Must have an MA, MS, PhD, PsyD in Child Development, Clinical Psychology, Counseling
- Must be trained as a Lactation Educator or Consultant
- 2 Year Training Program (Infant/Toddler/Child Sleep)
- Continued case presentation and education
- Comfortable working with a toolbox of sleep methods including parent checking, parent proximity, bedtime fading, schedule changes, and no-low cry method
- Comfortable working with a range of sleep arrangements and parenting philosophies
- Comfortable working with families with a culturally sensitive perspective
- Work in collaboration with parents, pediatrician, lactation consultants, feeding specialists, sleep disorders clinics, physical and occupational therapists, and other practitioners and doctors
- Provide lectures to nationally and internationally recognized parenting and professional organizations
- Write editorial content for various peer-reviewed scientific journals, parenting blogs, websites, magazines, contributions to various sleep and parenting books, videos, PSA’s
- Develop professional guidelines and standard of care for safe sleep interventions that take into account the most recent science from a range of disciplines and fields
- Develop standard of care both nationally and internationally for families based on newest science from a range of disciplines and fields both nationally and internationally
- Consult to Fortune 500 companies, non-profit agencies, military, government agencies, hospitals, daycares, schools, and universities